Bunn Family History
Bunn/Smiley family link
On 26 August 1894, Marion Harley Bunn, daughter of Henry Alfred and Margaret (Wilson) Bunn of St Kilda, married Thomas Alexander Ward Smiley, son of Shepherd Parkman and Margaret Phoebe (Ward) Smiley. This part of the Smiley family website explores a little of the Bunn family story from ancestors in England in the late 1600s down to the Australian generation of Marion Harley Bunn.
George James Bunn 1869-1961
John Bunn ca1680 → James Bunn 1703 → James Bunn 1737 → William Bunn 1765 → George Bunn 1789 → Henry Alfred Bunn 1827-1905 → George James Bunn 1869-1961.
George James Bunn, born on 25 April 1869 at St Kilda, Victoria, was the 7th of the 12 children of Henry Alfred and Margaret (Wilson) Bunn. He became a drilling contractor (probably for water), and moved around country Victoria before settling back in Melbourne.
On 24 April 1894 he married Agnes Maud Vere Hamilton, who was born 2 July 1875 at Ballarat, the daughter of Charles Elie and Phoebe (Ward) Hamilton (one of Phoebe's sisters, Margaret Phoebe Ward, had married into the Smiley family in 1855).
George and Agnes had eight children. Partly because of the drilling contracts, the family moved around Victoria - at times they lived at Camden Street, St Kilda, Langi Logan (near Ararat), Morwell, and at Bertram Street, Elsternwick.
George died on 15 September 1961 when aged 92, Agnes died in 1970 aged 94.
- Vera Agnes Bunn (1894-1995) married 1914 Harold Rossiter (1886-1968)
- Edgar Lachlan Bunn (1899-1995) married Rose Anna Smith (1904-1978)
- Zillah Georgina Bunn (1901-2005) married 1926 Charles Rickard (1901-1985)
- Cedric George Bunn (1903-1978) married 1937 Florence Bond (1905-1996)
- Ronald George Bunn (1906-1981) married 1937 Ellen May Coghlan (1910-1988)
- Isabella Hilda Bunn (1908-1997) married 1933 Stanley Pegler (1907-1979)
- Walter George Bunn (1912-1960) married Winsome Agnes Howard (1916-?)
- Clifford George Bunn (1915-1997) married 1944 Mercia Josephine Smith (1919-2005)
Siblings of George James Bunn.