Bunn Family History
Bunn/Smiley family link
On 26 August 1894, Marion Harley Bunn, daughter of Henry Alfred and Margaret (Wilson) Bunn of St Kilda, married Thomas Alexander Ward Smiley, son of Shepherd Parkman and Margaret Phoebe (Ward) Smiley. This part of the Smiley family website explores a little of the Bunn family story from ancestors in England in the late 1600s down to the Australian generation of Marion Harley Bunn.
Many people have contributed to this information but the research into the Bunn family history by Clarence A. Bunn, Kerryn A. Ryan, Gary P. Bunn, Graham L. Gales and Harry Crowe is particularly acknowledged.
Bunn family tree
John Bunn, born 1675, lived at Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, England. He is thought to have married Alice Besant on 7 November 1699 at Fordington, Dorset, when he was aged about 24. Seven children were born to the family. John Bunn died in 1719 when aged about 44.
- Sarah Bunn (1702-1782) married 1723 Thomas Taylor
- James Bunn (1703-1779) married 1736 Mary Kendrick - see below
- John Bunn (1705-?)
- Thomas Bunn (born and died 1708)
- Robert Bunn (1709-1782)
- William Bunn (1712-?)
- Raphael (Ralph) Bunn (1714-1807)
James Bunn, born 1703, baptised on 24 March 1704, married at Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire on 22 February 1736 Mary Kendrick, daughter of Thomas Kendrick. She was baptised on 8 June 1699, and buried on 31 July 1765.
- James Bunn (1737-1798) married 1763 Catherine Phillips - see below
- Katherine Bunn (1746-?)
- Mary Bunn (?-?)
James Bunn born 1737, baptised on 6 January 1738 at Holy Trinity Church, Sutton Coldfield. His name appears in a poll of the freeholders of Sutton Coldfield in October 1774. He married on 30 June 1765 Catherine Phillips, who was born about 1746. The couple had eight children. James died in 1798.
- William Bunn (1765-1810) married 1784 Melinda Swinbourne - see below
- Joseph Bunn (1766-?)
- Catherine Bunn (1769-?)
- Unnamed child (born and died 1770)
- Maria Bunn (1771-1775)
- Jesse (Lefse) Bunn (born and died 1774)
- Cordelia Bunn (1776-1777)
- James Bunn (1781-?) married 1810 Mary Buncher
William Bunn was born in February 1765 at Sutton Coldfield and baptised on 6 February 1765. He married on 17 July 1784 at the Parish Church of St. Phillip, Birmingham, Melinda Swinbourne, born in 1762, the daughter of Henry and Mary (Stanley) Swinbourne. The couple had 10 children. William's name appears on a list of those paying land tax at Sutton Coldfield in 1797. A copy of the Letters of Administration of his estate, signed by his wife Melinda, shows he was a victualler in Sutton Coldfield. It is presumed he was the innkeeper of the Cup Inn at Maney, Sutton Coldfield. The inn was on the main road from Birmingham to Litchfield, close to Sutton Park, and coaches used it as one of their stops. William died on 5 November 1810 and in 1818 Melinda married a second time, to Thomas Brentnall, parish clerk of Sutton Coldfield. The 1851 census shows Melinda was an accountant by profession and by then was aged 92, living with her son George Bunn at the Cup Inn. She died in 1853.
- Mary Melinda Bunn (1785-1786)
- William Bunn (1786-?)
- Robert James McGee Bunn (1787-?)
- George Bunn (1789-1860) married 1814 Maria Matchett - see below
- Charles (1790-?) married 1816 Charlotte Dudley
- John Bunn (1791-?)
- Thomas Bunn (1794-1861) married 1818 Sarah Jones
- Henry Bunn (1799-1847) married 1824 Rebecca Dugmore
- Elizabeth Bunn (1802-1821)
- Edward Bunn (1805-1882) married 1838 Susannah Proudman
George Bunn was born at Sutton Coldfield in February 1789 and was baptised on 25 February 1789 at Holy Trinity Church, Sutton Coldfield (pictured above). He was a farmer but in 1849, at age 60, he became the innkeeper at The Cup Inn. He continued in this role until at least 1856. George Bunn married on 19 March 1814 at St Mary's Church, Handsworth, Staffordshire, Maria Matchett, who was born at Birmingham in 1792, the daughter of John and Sarah Matchett. The couple had nine children but Maria suffered from asthma and one of her sisters helped raise the children. Maria died on 30 November 1853, aged 61 years, George died on 15 June 1860, aged 71. Both are buried in the graveyard of Holy Trinity Church.
- Eliza Melinda Bunn (1817-1900) married 1842 Frederick Charles Smith
- Sarah Jane Bunn (1819-1854) married 1841 William Edmonds (who later married Sarah's sister Maria)
- Elizabeth (Betsy) Caroline Bunn (1821-1902) married 1849 John Levett Bradley
- Ann Sophia Bunn (1823-1871)
- George Francis Bunn (1825-?)
- Henry Alfred Bunn (1827-1905) married 1860 Margaret Wilson - click on link for more details
- Maria Rosina Bunn (1829-1891) married 1854 William Edmonds
- Adelaide Matilda Bunn (1830-1898) married 1856 Walter John Edwards
- Emma Amelia Bunn (1833-1906) married 1865 Thomas Henry Gem