Smiley Family History
Hugh Smiley 1785-1860
Francis Smylie/Smiley 1689 → Hugh Smiley 1723 → William Smiley 1757 → Hugh Smiley 1785-1860.
Born: 2 November 1785, Sidney, Maine, USA
Died: 16 April 1860, Skowhegan, Maine, USA, age 74
Married: Mary (Polly) McDonald, 7 March 1807 at Sidney, Maine, USA
Hugh Smiley was the first of the 13 children of William and Rebecca (Moore) Smiley. He was born at Sidney in central Maine on 2 November 1785.
On 7 March 1807, he married at Sidney, Mary (Polly) McDonald, who was born in 1787 at Clinton, Maine, the daughter of James and Elizabeth McDonald.
Judging by the birthplaces of their seven children, the couple moved around Maine before settling on a farm at Skowhegan. A number of their children remained to live in that area in their adult life.
Hugh died at Skowhegan on 16 April 1860 at the age of 74; six years later Mary (Polly) died, on 28 September 1866, at the age of 79.
[Pictured at right is a 2013 photograph of the headstones on the graves of Hugh and Mary (Polly) Smiley in the North Cemetery at Skowhegan, Maine.]
Both lived to see their youngest son Shepherd Parkman Smiley leave Maine for Australia, never to return to the place of his birth.
Children of Hugh and Mary (Polly) Smiley
- Hiram A. Smiley (1807-1839) married Olive G. Williams at Anson, Maine on 18 April 1835.
- Julia A. Smiley (1809-1890), unmarried.
- Edward Smiley (1810-1896) married Cynthia B. Nye on 24 July 1836.
- Joseph Smiley (1814-1891) married (1) Salome Cross on 22 December 1842, (2) Mary Eliza Dillingham on 11 April 1859.
- Sumner Smiley (1816-1843) married Laura H. Scott on 30 July 1836.
- Harriet B. Smiley (1820-1861) married John Homstead on 28 April 1844.
- Shepherd Parkman Smiley (1828-1903) married Margaret Phoebe Ward on 13 November 1855.