Smiley Family History
Early history and family tree
This family history website is about the ancestors of, and the Australian descendants of Shepherd Parkman Smiley who migrated from America to Australia in 1853. There are a number of other Smiley families in Australia, but their family line will be different to the one outlined on this website.
The story of the early Smiley generations is somewhat clouded and further research is desirable, but there appears to be general agreement on the family's origins.
Smiley Pedigree, produced in July 1979 by Genealogical Services of Mt Claremont, Western Australia, was based on a record produced in 1949 by M. D. Smiley of California. This website displays a slightly different lineage, which reflects more recent research into the family.
The 1979 document states that a William Smelly, the earliest-recognisable member of the family, moved from Scotland to Ireland in 1616 at the time when English and Scot Protestants were taking possession of the province of Ulster, in the north of Ireland.
A similar version but with variations of the names, has been posted onto a message board on the Ancestry website, by B. Smiley. He believes that around 1650, Thomas Smiley (Smylie?), a Presbyterian minister, moved from Scotland to Londonderry in northern Ireland. There, according to this story, his son Thomas (born about 1650) was killed during the siege of Londonderry, the 1689 battle between the forces of William of Orange and the Scottish King James. Thomas was honored for bravery and courage by the award of the Smiley family crest.
It was a son of this Thomas (or perhaps William), one Francis Smylie (later Smiley) who migrated from Ireland to America and from whom Shepherd Parkman Smiley descended.
(1) There have been variations of the name - Smelly, Smylie, Smiley, Smillie, Smilie, Smilley, Smily, Smyly - apart from the very early ancestors, this website has used 'Smiley'.
(2) Over the years, many members of the family have migrated to places including Australia, but this website deals only with Francis (1689-1763) and his descendants including his great great grandson Shepherd Parkman Smiley (1828-1903), and the subsequent Australian family.
See also: Origin of the Smiley name
Francis Smylie (later Smiley) born 1689, Ireland, married Agnes Wilson in Ireland, migrated with family to America in 1743, farmer, died 1763 in New Hampshire.
- John Smiley (1720-1774) married 1740 (1) Mary Cannon in 1740, (2) Mary Kimball
- Hugh Smiley (1723-1813) married 1745 Mary Park - see below
- Mary Smiley
- William Smiley (1727-1813) married 1754 Sarah Robinson
- Margaret Smiley (1728-?) married Francis Smith
Hugh Smiley born 1723 in Ireland, migrated to America with parents in 1743, married Mary Park in 1745, farmer and soldier, died in Vermont in 1813.
- Sarah Smiley (1747-1813) married 1741 Charles Webber
- William Smiley (1751-1756)
- Mary Smiley (1751-1756)
- Thomas Smiley (1755-1816) married 1779 Ruth Right Crosby
- David Smiley (1756-1823) married (1) Frances Lovejoy, 1815 (2) Eunice Longfellow
- William Smiley (1757-1850) - see below
- Mary (Polly) Smiley (1759-1839) married 1785 Rebecca Moore
- Alexander Smiley (1760-1848) married 1817 (1) Zerviah Moore, 1817 (2) Catherine (Hastings) Harlow
William Smiley born 1757 in Maine, married Rebecca Moore in 1785, farmed at Sidney, Maine, died there in 1850.
- Hugh Smiley (1785-1860) married 1807 Mary (Polly) McDonald - see below
- Sarah Smiley (1787-1879) married 1807 Leonas Perry
- James Smiley (1789-1869) married 1821 Charlotte Beale
- William Smiley (1790-1861) married 1819 Hannah Patridge
- Francis Smiley (1792-1873) married 1824 Hannah Barker Jewett
- Betsy Smiley (1794-1840)
- Thirza Smiley (1796-1887) married 1818 Bela Bangs
- Robert Smiley (1797-1854) married 1826 Hannah Woodcock
- Sumner Smiley (1800-1865) married Mahala Moore
- Mahala Smiley (1801-1875) married 1837 Phillip Symonds
- Reuben M. Smiley (1803-1882) married 1826 (1) Lydia H. Woodcock, 1876 (3) Lacina M. Amesbury
- Bethuel Smiley (1806-1880) married (1) Abigail Swain, 1835 (2) Eunice _________
- Myra G. Smiley (1809-1884) married 1827 Sidney Wiliam Pool Jewett
Hugh Smiley born in Maine in 1785, married Mary (Polly) McDonald in 1807, farmed at Skowhegan, Maine, died there in 1860.
- Hiram A. Smiley (1807-1839) married 1835 Olive G. Williams
- Julia A. Smiley (1809-1890)
- Edward Smiley (1810-1896) married 1836 Cynthia B. Nye
- Joseph Smiley (1814-1891) married 1842 (1) Salome Cross, 1859 (2) Mary Eliza Dillingham
- Sumner Smiley (1816-1843) married 1836 Laura H. Scott
- Harriet B. Smiley (1820-1861) married 1844 John Homstead
- Shepherd Parkman Smiley (1828-1903) married 1855 Margaret Phoebe Ward - see below
Shepherd Parkman Smiley born in Maine in 1828, migrated to Australia in 1853, married Margaret Phoebe Ward in Melbourne in 1855, gold miner and stage coach driver, died in Melbourne in 1903.
Children (the family tree continues on individual pages for these Smileys):
- Franklin Thomas Smiley (1857-1944) married 1881 Mary Bowden Camp
- Mary Frances Smiley (1859-1864)
- Shepherd Henry Smiley (1861-1900) married 1888 Catherine Elizabeth Johnson
- William Joseph Smiley (1863-1902) married 1888 Catherine Darley Bruce
- Phoebe Jane (Tot) Smiley (1865-1950) married 1888 George Arthur Debnam
- Thomas Alexander Ward Smiley (1867-1951) married 1890 (1) Eliza Ann Johnston, 1894 (2) Marion Harley Bunn (see also Bunn Family information).
- Margaret May (Maggie Mary) Smiley (1877-1913) married 1898 (1) Robert McKissock Gregor, 1903 (2) Henry (Harry) Felix Rodgers